An Uncompromising Vision of Luxury since 1979
last updated June 25th 2002
our warehouse location:
1466 San Bruno Ave
San Francisco, CA 94110 USA
What we do:
Underground punk, noise, garage, experimental, power violence, surf, improv
squall, crust, black metal, ambient, rockabilly, beat, psych, progressive rock,
spoken word, free jazz, and all other sorts of subversive, nonconformist sounds,
as well as books, magazines, T- shirts and other stuff, from hundreds of labels
ranging from reasonably small to incredibly tiny from around the world that
you'd have a really hard time finding anywhere else. Oh yeah, we also have our
own little label that's been running since 1979.
The Subterranean Records label
- The inevitable list of our own releases, plus collector-nerd trivia
on the pressings and background gossip on what inspired these financial
- A bunch of fanzine articles and blather
about us from 1979 to 1998.
- The former Masters of Ceremonies, Creepin' Charlie & Weed B. Gone
- sub wrecks: the label's own records that
are available for sale
- orphanage/halfway house: other labels
that were left on our doorstep or broke in through the back window,
we seem to take care of most of their business.
- the recent week(s) releases, a list of the
latest crap to land on our doorstep. (updated June 25th 2002)
- stuff since the last printed catalog:
over 3,000 new recordings, listed by genre (updated April 19th
- the big catalog, with all
of our back stock and new items, a good 11,000 items, listed by artists
(updated June 14th 2002)
- ordering instructions: How to give us your
hard-earned dinero, aka how to get all this stuff. This is by far
the most important thing on here, Jackson.
- free record deal (updated January
Search engine - look up a subject on our site
New pages and Recent Changes to the site
Links to other people's websites
Directions and maps to Sub HQ
If you would like to receive our monthly
email update of new releases give us your email address and possibly your
mailing address and you'll start getting it.
Stores! Ask us for our wholesale list. We are dang cheap!
There are a few other businesses that have sprouted up lately
using our same name but none can flex a proletarian muscle that bulges as
large with street cred as ours. Charlatans all for sure, their cloaks made
of earthworms do not conceal their surface-dwelling hides nor guard them from
the scurtiny of the true Morlocks. Long live dirt.
What you'll find here eventually, if we can ever get our shitty slacker
- Links to reviews, cover art, artist information and biographies, photos,
and more egregious hype than you'll ever want to see.
- A complete database of all the shit we sell (several thousand items at
last guesstimate), searchable by artist, title, label, format, genre or
keyword. If the last few years of impotent thrashing about is any clue,
you'll probably see this about the time hell freezes over.
- Personal pages from some of the people who work here, so we can mouth
off on our favorite subjects.
- An interactive soapbox where you can climb up and spout off on anything
you find here, write your own record reviews if you think ours are too lame
for words, or just talk with other folks about music, underground culture
and politics, etc.